- BYTON unveils its BYTON M-Byte* at the IAA in Frankfurt
- BYTON announces details of its first production vehicle during its IAA press conference
- With the 48inch-wide curved Display - BYTON fulfills its promise of integrating pioneering user-centric technology that changes the way people spend time in vehicles
Frankfurt, September 10, 2019 – BYTON, the premium brand for smart electric vehicles, unveiled its first vehicle, the BYTON M-Byte SUV, at the IAA Frankfurt. With the innovative BYTON M-Byte cockpit, centered around the 48-inch-wide curved Display - BYTON fulfills its promise of implementing a user-centric operating philosophy.
"As one of the most important motor shows in the world, the IAA is a yardstick for us. We are on the verge of starting series production and the feedback from media and especially from our future customers, is of great relevance to us. Today's unveiling of the BYTON M-Byte also shows the effort paying off for the team, which has worked relentlessly on the car for over two years. Within that short amount of time, together we have taken a smart electric car from an initial idea on a white sheet of paper to series production readiness, while also building a coherent infrastructure with locations on three continents and an efficient Industry 4.0 production facility in China. We can rightfully be proud of this," says Dr. Daniel Kirchert, BYTON’s Chief Executive Officer and Founder.
The unveiled BYTON M-Byte and its interior can be experienced live at the BYTON booth in Hall 8, C13, during the IAA Frankfurt.
BYTON has developed the core strategy of “rooted in China with global reach.” The company aims to create an all-new premium and intelligent EV brand by integrating global resources. With headquarters in Nanjing, China, and R&D centres around the world, BYTON expects to deliver the first BYTON M-Byte´s to Chinese customers in the middle of 2020 after Start of Production.
BYTON is about to close its C-round fundraising, which will secure an estimated $500 million for the company. Investors include FAW Group and the Nanjing municipal government. As part of this, FAW Group recently signed an investment agreement with BYTON to participate in the C-round.
BYTON strives to achieve the highest quality for its products, and for this reason the company has built its own manufacturing plant and conducts independent research and development for all products. Located in the Nanjing Economic and Technological Development Zone in Jiangsu Province, BYTON´s intelligent manufacturing base covers an area of 800,000m², with a total investment of over 1.5 billion USD and a planned capacity of 300,000 units. The plant is built to industry 4.0 standards, using cutting-edge manufacturing equipment and technology, as well as an innovative intelligent management system.
- Construction of the five major workshops – namely stamping, welding, painting, assembly and battery – has been completed with equipment currently being installed and commissioning underway. BYTON expects to deliver the first BYTON M-Byte´s to Chinese customers in the middle of 2020 after start of production. The EV-manufacturer expects to start taking pre-orders in Europe and North America in 2020 followed by market entry in each in 2021.
- BYTON´s China R&D center in Nanjing will be put into operation in September 2019 to offer state-of-the-art technical support and quality assurance for subsequent product testing.
- BYTON´s China R&D center boasts first-class R&D and testing capabilities, which can support the traditional R&D tests used by other advanced automobile enterprises, including environmental wind tunnel, shower and tightness, as well as the tests related to the core technologies of smart electric vehicles.
BYTON M-Byte Product Highlights
The BYTON M-Byte is a premium SUV and BYTON´s first product to go into series production in its own plant in Nanjing. The BYTON M-Byte is a platform for life designed for the age of shared mobility and assisted driving. With the Display, BYTON is fulfilling its promise of integrating pioneering user-centric technology that changes the way people spend time in their cars. The 48-inch curved Display is the world´s largest display in a production car.
With an affordable entry price, a great range and superior space, the BYTON M-Byte is the most approachable premium EV for everyday use.
Exterior Design Concept
The BYTON M-Byte combines digitalization, innovation and craftsmanship to provide enjoyable time on the move.
- The front of the BYTON MByte was designed to visualize a new definition of power – prioritizing data power over horsepower. The falling feature line along the vehicle´s flanks and the long wheelbase reflect interior roominess and add to a strong exterior stance.
- Aerodynamics are key for an EV to ensure maximum efficiency. With a low roofline, sleek silhouette and a very competitive drag coefficient, the exterior design is an aerodynamically optimized body. The floating Cpillar is a distinctive element, which also has aerodynamic functions to channel air flow around the greenhouse. Door handles that lay flush and a fully enclosed front fascia add to aero efficiency.
- One of BYTON´s key design elements is the socalled BYTON Front Blade between the upper jewel-like daytime running lights with the BYTON letters, which will also distinguish future models in the BYTON family. At the rear, the taillights are equipped with slim edge LED technology.
- The BYTON Smart Surface at the front and the rear are a futureoriented element that transform the vehicle´s body into an exterior user interface. When autonomous driving becomes reality, these additional lighting elements will communicate toward the outside world. In the meantime, the BYTON Smart Surfaces greet the user and display the charging status in charging scenarios.
- The exterior color portfolio offers classic variants, as well as progressive colors.
Interior Design Concept
The interior design of the BYTON M-Byte is characterize by its superior space and is achieved through elements like the panoramic effect of the instrument panel or the door panel continuity over the B-pillar - just like a new living space.
- BYTON´s design philosophy is to embrace digital content and technology, enabling users to interact in different ways such as sensors for gesture, touch or voice control.
- The center of BYTON MByte´s interior design is the 48-inch curved Display, which is integrated into the dashboard and enables the passengers to enjoy multiple digital services.
- The clean design of the instrument panel and wraparound design elements integrate functions in a stylish yet discrete way and provide a feeling of protection and care for passengers.
- A digital lounge feeling permeates the cabin through a flat floor and floating dashboard, which fosters relaxation and communication. HVAC and other traditional components do not protrude into this “living room.” The front seats rotate inwards, facilitating conversation and allowing better visibility of the Display for rear passengers. An optional dedicated fourseat configuration with rear captain chairs offers extended second-row comfort and convenience.
- The BYTON MByte´s color and trim options enhance the living-room feel for every taste: various trim-levels and distinguished details allow personalization and create a balance between digital content and natural materials.
Innovative User Interface
The BYTON M-Byte is the next-generation smart device designed for the age of shared mobility and assisted driving – an intelligent, connected car.
- The 48inch-wide curved Display offers three areas for content. Users can interact with the Display via both a 7-inch Driver Tablet and an 8-inch Co-Driver Tablet.
- The 7inch Driver Tablet for key driver information and controls, which was pioneered by BYTON, will be at the center of the steering wheel just above the full-size driver airbag. It serves as one of the main interfaces for the driver to personalize the vehicle and interact with the Display.
- The 8inch Co-Driver Tablet can be found between the driver and the front passenger seats, enabling the front passenger to control the Display and enjoy an interactive experience.
- Multiple interaction modes with the vehicle will be offered including touch gesture, voice and air gesture control, driver’s face recognition, as well as physical buttons.
World-Class Safety and Quality
The BYTON M-Byte is ready for assisted driving and shared mobility and built with world-class safety and quality.
- The antishatter coating of the BYTON Display minimizes the risk to passengers in a collision.
- The driver airbag is located just below the Driver Tablet in the center of the steering wheel.
- In order to ensure that the driver’s view is not obstructed, the Display is located under the front hood extension cord, so that driver can see the screen content without looking away.
- The entry level M-Byte with a single rear-mounted electric motor will provide peak output of 200kW (272 PS), which allows an average range of 360 kilometres or 224 miles (WLTP). The 4WD high level configuration is rated 300kW (408 PS), with an average possible range of 435 kilometres or 270 miles (WLTP).
- The battery capacity of the BYTON´s M-Byte entry level model will be 72 kWh. The 4WD high level model has a battery capacity of approximately 95 kWh.
- The BYTON MByte will comply with the local charging and plug standards according to region and feature GBT / CCS1 or CCS2 charging interface.
- According to regional market conditions, fast DC charging is up to 150kW and AC charging between 3.7kW and 22kW. DC charging time on a 150kW charger will be approx. 35 minutes (up to 80%).
Engineering and Prototype Activities
BYTON’s complete vehicle testing program for the BYTON M-Byte began in mid-2018 and has been progressing steadily.
- The company is currently in the Attribute Prototype (AP) testing stage, with nearly a hundred BYTON MByte AP vehicles built so far for various tests taking place around the globe.
- BYTON has passed several intensive tests not mandatory by national standards in China. It conducted the North American IIHS 25% small offset crash test and Euro NCAP side pole impact test in China with results exceeding all expectations. The IIHS 25% small offset crash test is considered the world’s most stringent frontal impact test.
- The chassis design and technical layout of the BYTON MByte is designed to meet or exceed the comfort and maneuverability of premium class leaders, with a focus on a properly developed suspension, progressive brakes and more. The testing will continue, with results and milestones released as the BYTON M-Byte advances towards its start of production.
The BYTON M-Byte is positioned in the premium segment with a highly competitive starting price of €45,000 excluding VAT. As a fully electric vehicle, governmental subsidies may apply to the BYTON M-Byte starting price, differing across regions.
The BYTON M-Byte has currently over 50,000 reservations worldwide.
- Europe represents a significant portion of the overall amount, demonstrating the high interest of the European drivers adopting to electric powertrains.
- Reservation holders will have a priority in placing preorders, which will guarantee early deliveries, according to market entries rollout plan.
- Reservation holders have various benefits, such as being invited to BYTON cocreation events and join open conversations with key BYTON representatives.
BYTON will open the possibility of pre-ordering the BYTON M-Byte in the first half of 2020.
The BYTON M-Byte pre-order will require a down payment in order to hold an early position in the production queue, which will result in an early delivery, according to market entries rollout plan.
Start of Production and Start of Sales
The BYTON M-Byte will go on sales in China in the first half of 2020. BYTON plans to start production of M-Byte for the Chinese market in the middle of 2020. BYTON expects to start taking pre-orders in Europe and North America in 2020 followed by market entry in each in 2021.
Hassle-free Service and After Sales
BYTON aims to make service as easy and simple as possible for all customers. Service at a swipe is the vision that the company wants to achieve. BYTON will offer a fully integrated service in the BYTON App. The company plans to provide convenient services such as vehicle pickup & delivery and mobile service units to solve smaller repairs when the vehicle is not in use, e.g. while at work.
It is important for BYTON to create a reliable and high-quality service operation right from the start. Partnering with existing entities and sharing of service operations will allow BYTON to start with good network coverage and reliable business operations. Doing so BYTON will not only focus on the sales markets but ensure support of customers.
*M-Byte is not yet in production or available for sale. Specifications are preliminary and may change without notice. The content herein is provided for informational purposes only.
BYTON aspires to build premium intelligent electric vehicles for the future. Its crafted cars integrate advanced digital technologies to offer customers a smart, connected, comfortable and eco-friendly driving and mobility experience.
BYTON aims to create a premium brand rooted in China which has a global reach. Its global headquarters, intelligent manufacturing base and R&D center are located in Nanjing, China, while its North American headquarters, devoted to intelligent car experience, autonomous driving, whole vehicle integration and other cutting-edge technologies, is based in the Silicon Valley. The company’s vehicle concept and design center is located in Munich. BYTON also has offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong to handle external affairs, marketing, sales, design and investor relations.
BYTON’s core management team is made up of the world’s top experts from China, Europe and the U.S., all of whom have held senior management positions in innovative companies such as BMW, Tesla, Google and Apple. Their expertise covers automotive design, automotive engineering and manufacturing, electric powertrain, intelligent connectivity, autonomous driving, user interface and supply chain management among other industry sectors, the sum of which represents BYTON’s strengths in manufacturing premium automobiles that are equipped with high quality internet technologies.
Official website: www.byton.com
Further Information: BYTON Newsroom
Pictures of BYTON: BYTON Flickr Account or BYTON Newsroom Pictures
Videos of BYTON: BYTON Videos
Oliver Strohbach, Director Public Relations Europe
Tel.: +49 151 11 42 67 11
Christian Scheckenbach, Manager Public Relations Europe
Tel.: +49 151 11 42 66 91
PR agency: DEDERICHS REINECKE & PARTNER
Tel.: +49 172 40 53 53 9