BYTON M-Byte Concept and BYTON K-Byte Concept
BYTON will manufacture three new models based on its BYTON Smart EV Platform, including an SUV, a sedan and an MPV. The first model, the BYTON M-Byte, is a premium, smart, mid-sized electric SUV.
The BYTON M-Byte Concept had its world premiere at CES 2018 in Las Vegas, with its European debut at Milan Design Week in April of 2018, and its China debut at Auto China 2018 in Beijing. BYTON’s second concept vehicle, the BYTON K-Byte Concept, is a premium sedan designed for the era of autonomous driving, which was unveiled to the world in Shanghai at BYTON Night in June 2018, one day before its CES Asia 2018 reveal.
The M-Byte* production model was unveiled at the IAA 2019.
Top Experts from all over the world
BYTON Chief Executive Officer and founder of BYTON, Dr. Daniel Kirchert is a well-recognized leader in the premium auto industry and is widely regarded as an expert in the automotive landscape in China. Before starting BYTON, he led BMW and Infiniti in achieving record sales in China.
BYTON’s core management team consists of leading experts in their respective fields from China, Europe and the U.S., all of whom have held senior management positions in innovative companies such as BMW, Tesla, Google and Apple. Their expertise covers automotive design, automotive engineering and manufacturing, electric powertrain, intelligent connectivity and supply chain management among other industry sectors, the sum of which represents BYTON’s strengths in R&D and manufacturing premium automobiles that are equipped with cutting-edge digital technologies.
BYTON is an innovation-driven startup and has successfully completed series B financing. Current shareholders include BYTON’s founding team and well-recognized investor groups such as Nanjing Qiningfeng New Energy Automotive Industrial Investment Fund, FAW and CATL, among others. BYTON has concurrently been actively sourcing overseas capital.
The cooperation with the major Japanese integrated trading and investment business conglomerate Marubeni is the second time BYTON has brought in an overseas strategic investor, after signing an agreement in September 2019 with South Korean auto parts maker Myoung Shin Co.
BYTON Plant built to Industry 4.0 standards
The BYTON Nanjing plant covers an area of 800,000 square meters, with a total investment of over 1.4 billion Euros (USD $1.5 billion). It incorporates the world’s best equipment and production processes, and follows the highest standards in safety and environmentally responsible production.
Plant construction, which started in September 2017, is nearing completion. Construction of the five major workshops – namely stamping, welding, painting, assembly and battery – has been completed with equipment currently being installed and commissioning underway.
BYTON’s Nanjing plant is built to industry 4.0 standards, using global leading manufacturing equipment and technology:
- The stamping shop, using the industry-top servo press, completes one panel every 3 seconds on average. It will be one of the fastest stamping production lines in China.
- The welding shop, which incorporates 335 welding robots supplied by leading manufacturing equipment provider KUKA, boosts the automation rate to 99%.
- The paint shop is equipped with cutting-edge painting technologies such as a “3 Coating 2 Baking” system and thin film pre-treatment as well as the transverse “Eco-Incure” oven technology – one of the first in China.
- The battery shop will produce and assemble battery packs, designed independently by BYTON. Leading battery maker CATL provides the battery cells and modules, while aluminum maker Constellium supplies the aluminum battery tray.
- September 2017: The founding team of BYTON announces its English and Chinese brands: BYTON and 拜腾.
- September 2017: BYTON holds a groundbreaking ceremony for its intelligent manufacturing base – the BYTON Smart BEV Industrial Park.
- December 2017: BYTON opens North American Headquarter.
- January 2018: The BYTON MByte Concept celebrates its global debut at CES in Las Vegas.
- April 2018: European debut of the BYTON MByte Concept at Milan Design Week.
- April 2018: Start of the European Roadshow with stops in Munich, Oslo and Amsterdam.
- April 2018: BYTON signs strategic cooperation investment framework agreement with FAW.
- April 2018: BYTON MByte Concept makes China debut at Beijing Auto Show.
- April 2018: BYTON Nanjing trial shop is put into operation.
- June 2018: BYTON opens Global Headquarters in Nanjing and completes its series B financing with USD $500 million.
- June 2018: Global debut of the BYTON KByte Concept at BYTON Night in Shanghai.
- August 2018: First drivable prototypes leave the assembly hall for road and track testing.
- August 2018: Start of the China roadshow with the BYTON MByte Concept.
- January 2019: BYTON unveils BYTON MByte production model front-row design at CES in Las Vegas.
- January 2019: BYTON opens the first BYTON Place in Shanghai.
- March 2019: BYTON sets up National Sales Company (NSC) in China, focusing on the sales, marketing, digital operation, charging, channel and aftersales service in the Chinese market.
- May 2019: The first bodyin-white for BYTON M-Byte rolls off the production line of the BYTON factory plant in Nanjing.
- June 2019: BYTON officially opens its Shanghai Design Studio, sharing the interior design details of BYTON MByte production model.
- September 2019: BYTON shows MByte at IAA 2019 for the first time.
- November 2019: BYTON MByte gives Asian Debut at Guangzhou Autoshow.
- January 2020: BYTON presents first partnerships for the BYTON Stage at CES Las Vegas and presents the MByte in North America for the first time.